Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Who Are You?

And who are they?  Well, thanks to mathematics, you can know yourself and others a little better - no long genealogy journey televised with shocking revelations, no blood draws or mouth swabs.  It is a computer algorithm, formatted to look like a "translation" screen- thoughts on the left, transparency on the right.


Don't write something special for this test, because that's akin to counting cards.  Take a sample of your writing - a work email, a grant report, a training description - and enter it into the box.  Out of the box comes the description.  You can see how easy it would be to run this on your coworkers, too.  You could even run the test for different points in time, or with writing samples intended for different audiences.


Who's to say you couldn't run your sales material and your client communications to check the pulse on how you may come across to those market segments???  Or what could happen with political speeches or press releases as they are run through the "truth filter"?


Mercedes Benz used a great graphic in its advertising several years back, depicting the left brain versus the right brain.  Familiar to many people as it was in vogue to try to fit yourself into a right brain or left brain workplace. From that advertisement:


Left brain
I am the left brain. I am a scientist. A mathematician. I love the familiar. I categorize. I am accurate. Linear. Analytical. Strategic. I am practical. Always in control. A master of words and language. Realistic. I calculate equations and play with numbers. I am order. I am logic. I know exactly who I am.


Right brain
I am the right brain. I am creativity. A free spirit. I am passion. Yearning. Sensuality. I am the sound of roaring laughter. I am taste. The feeling of sand beneath bare feet. I am movement. Vivid colors. I am the urge to paint on an empty canvas. I am boundless imagination. Art. Poetry. I sense. I feel. I am everything I wanted to be.


You have two halves of the brain - you use them both.


As you take a journey to the center of your world, remember that you are more than "they" say you are.  You are a work in progress - having a touch-point is always helpful to make sure your progress is in the right direction. You can't be confined to a box.  And, after all, this is artificial intelligence.

https://watson-pi-demo.mybluemix.net