Monday, October 26, 2015

You Are Worth It

Talking about work one night, a friend commented that you better know what you’re worth.  The conversation was oriented toward our jobs.  My job at that time for a large and growing company that was going head-to-head with the big dog in the industry.  If you don’t know how you contribute to the bottom line and (worse) cannot articulate it to the boss, then you can’t really know if you are making a difference.

How do you evaluate your worth?  There are ways to see your contributions to sales, for instance (some of my sales team laughed once when we determined my SEVEN HOUR impromptu meeting earned a deal with a huge client, and that my hourly rate was about $1.7m in direct bottom line contribution for that one experience.  Client told the sales rep that I sold it, and I wasn’t in sales! Whew!)  It’s not always easy to figure it out.  

It depends on the industry and corporate culture as to what’s important to the boss - and how to not “threaten” the boss because you are good.  If your boss is a leader, no sweat: my best boss >>ever<< told me here’s what I need in three months, go to it and find me if you need me.  We exceeded that goal and blew it out of the water, because the leader empowered team members!  If your manager can’t produce and worries you are out-producing him so has paranoid behaviors, you need to find a leader anyway.

At some companies, the team atmosphere is the desired outcome and the dollars are the second tier outcome.  That you are available when the team needs you… that you your area of expertise… that you aren’t grumpy and bring outside baggage to your office… that you shine for your own brand and represent the company well.  

Know yourself and your talents.  Determine how you help the company where you are.  Decide if they value you, or just have you fill a chair… and know that you can find a great leader at a fantastic company who values what you bring to the table every day.  It’s all up to you.  You’ll find that great fit and enjoy life that much more.